List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] The only thing that makes my music skip. (msec_find)
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-2?Q?Ma=E8ok?= <martin.macok () underground ! cz>
Date:       2002-02-28 21:00:36

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 07:43:35PM +0100, Mattias Dahlberg wrote:
> The only thing that makes my music skip in today's Cooker is msec_find. Is
> there anyway msec_find could be more gentle to the system? Just wondering.

Try running your music player (xmms? mpg123? ogg123?) with higher
priority (say at least nice -5). You can use sudo and wrappers to let
unprivilegged users run software with high priority.

You can try patching your kernel with largenice patch from Rik van
Riel, or try Ingo's O(1) scheduler, which runs processes with lowest
priority (cronjobs are run with nice 19 in current cooker) as batch
jobs (larger timeslices, but less frequently).

--
         Martin Mačok                 http://underground.cz/
   martin.macok@underground.cz        http://Xtrmntr.org/ORBman/