List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] KDE2/KDE3 sharing of ~/.kde
From:       Maks Orlovich <mo002j () mail ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2002-01-09 19:38:38

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 05:17 am, you wrote:
> How safe is it? Are there any incompatibilities in application-specific
> files? I have seen kmail was mentioned (I do not use it) - anything
> else?
>
> Is it possible to define different user directories for KDE2 and KDE3?

You can set the home sub directory used by KDE for regular user by setting
the environmental variable KDEHOME.

I.E. in startkde3 script, if one does export KDEHOME=.kde3 [might need
~/.kde3, need to re-read the code to be sure], the KDE3 apps will use a
different home directory, which is probably a good idea.

Root, BTW, uses KDEROOTHOME, iirc