List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] KDE3 Questions
From:       Lonnie Borntreger <cooker () borntreger ! com>
Date:       2002-01-07 9:19:57

I installed KDE3 along-side of KDE2.  Saw the following behaviors.  Was
wondering if anybody could shed some light on the subject.

1 - Selecting "KDE 3" in kdm still started KDE2.  The file
/etc/X11/wmsessions.d/11KDE properly says to exec
/opt/kde3/bin/startkde3, but for some reason /usr/bin/startkde is always
started.

2 - To force it to start KDE3, I renamed /usr/bin/startkde and made it a
link to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde3.  This time KDE3 started properly, but
had some problems.  For example, the KDE control center was empty (just
showed the version page, no modules), some icons were missing, some
icons were now tiny, and there was no application menu.

I'm assuming that the icon issues were due to the fact that the KDE2
icon directories had more entries (is there a "path" like option for
icons?), but I'm at a loss for the other issues.

TIA,
--
TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger