List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rpms suck
From:       Maks Orlovich <mo002j () mail ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2001-10-04 19:31:36

> I suddenly contemplate a rpm system modified for a 'binary-diff' that
> could have something like urpmi only fetch parts of the file.  like
> upgrading kernel source could be just one meg d/l, or any executibleish
> app or whatever.  freeeeeeeeeaky.  i am sooo dilerious.  contemplating
> yogurt.

In limited cases, it might be possible to implement this with the help of
Loki's binary patch tools (or some other binarry diff utility) and present
RPM.

I mean, suppose you have a package, say kernel-2.4.10-2mdk. You make it
provide the_kernel = 2.4.10-2mdk.

Then, when Kernel 2.4.11-1mdk is released, you create
kernel_patch-2.4.10-2mdk-2.4.11-1.mdk, which requires
kernel=kernel-2.4.10-2mdk, provides the_kernel = 2.4.11-1mdk,
and patches the files when installed. (Of course, uninstalling get kind of
difficult <g>).

IUn this way, it's possible to provide limited patch-update functionality,
but it's hacky, and requires RPMs to be created separately for eahc upgrade
path which may or may not be a big deal..