List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] LM 8.1 - Toshiba Portege 7140 laptop - X pbms since 8.0!
From:       Frederic Soulier <frederic () wallaby ! uklinux ! net>
Date:       2001-09-30 20:29:42

I have just installed LM 8.1 on a Toshiba Portege 7140 laptop
with P3 500Mhz, 192MB Ram, 20Gb HD, Trident Cyberblade video adapter
(1024 x 728), 2 NICs (1 PCMCIA 3Com, 1 Etherpro in the docking station),
DVD + floppy in docking station.

Installation was ok (appart from the partition size selection where you
have to use the arrow keys to fine tune... dodgy) up to the X
configuration.. At that stage it crapped out giving the same error
message as for LM 8.0 (note: this pbm was reported on this list and
info were sent to someone in Mandrake).
You can see below the error msg:
      Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference
The remedy in 8.0 was to stop the install, reboot in console then
issue "Xconfigurator".
Tried to do the same in 8.1 but:
    in /usr/X11R6/bin
         Xconfigurator -> ../sbin/XFdrake
         Xdrakres -> ../..//sbin/XFdrake

Changed both to ../../sbin/XFdrake and was able to run Xconfigurator
and complete the install.

Then came Mandrake Online where I was unable to get the keyboard focus
and enter my details... too bad...

Logged in onto KDE, now my mouse cursor shows intermitently 2 ugly
vertical lines about 2cm high with 1 cm between them... ugly stuff.
I have to move it outside of the current windows to get its normal
shape back...

Went on to change to anti-aliased font and was greeted with the most
enormous fonts ever, got fonts from Windows install, corrected the
size and it was ok, opened konsole and tried to find a fixed font that
actually worked... no luck... downgraded back to non anti-aliased fonts.
Opened konqueror for the 1st time... did not finish loading and decided
to take X with it into its grave...

Decided to reboot (just in case), ran konqueror, tried a few programs
then tried the smb kio_slave in konqui smb://192.168.xx.xx
It did sort of work but again after playing with it and trying to
copy stuff to my server that runs the smb I managed to send konqui
right into oblivion and X with it.

A good thing I learnt with Linux: Ctrl-Alt-Backspace   and believe
me sometimes it feels the same as:  Ctrl-Alt-Del  :(

What's next?
   - Can someone investigate seriously this X configuration pbm during
     install? I am ready to send any config details you want.
     and maybe 8.2 install will then work...

Anyway, although I am not too thrilled by 8.1 I still want to thank
all the developers at Mandrake soft for their willingness to produce
an easy to use Linux distro, for the QA team I think I should say:
     Could do better or peux mieux faire...

Frederic  (running 8.0 with freq happilly both at home and at work)

ddebug.log after LM 8.1 install crapped out on X config...

Setting files permissions : done.
* step `setupBootloader' finished
* starting step `configureX'
* writing /mnt/etc/fstab
* to put in modules
* selecting packages
* all packages selected are already installed, nothing to do
* running: /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start with root /mnt
Starting X Font Server: [  OK  ]
* unknown package `NVIDIA_GLX'
* Using XFree 3.3.6
* selecting packages
* installing packages
* pkgs::install /mnt
* pkgs::install the following: XFree86-server-common XFree86-FBDev
* opened /mnt/root/install.log
* reading /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc
* 	done
* getFile XFree86-server-common-3.3.6-23mdk.i586.rpm:disc 1 Download
Edition - Installation CD (x86)
* getFile XXX:
* opened rpm database for transaction of 2 new packages, still 0 after
that to do
* rpmRunTransactions start
* getFile XFree86-server-common-3.3.6-23mdk.i586.rpm:disc 1 Download
Edition - Installation CD (x86)
* getFile XFree86-FBDev-3.3.6-23mdk.i586.rpm:disc 1 Download Edition -
Installation CD (x86)
* rpmRunTransactions done, now trying to close still opened fd
* getFile XXX:
* rpm database closed
* closing install.log file
* running: ldconfig  with root /mnt
* Install took: 0:00:07
* Installed: 76MB(df), 1.8GB(rpm)
* EISA_ID: tos5082
* warning: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
/usr/bin/perl-install/Xconfigurator.pm line 918.
* starting step `exitInstall'
* default cancel_clicked
* step `' finished