List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Re: [CHRPM] rpmdrake-1.3-104mdk
From:       David Odin <odin () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-09-30 19:48:36

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 12:42:44PM +0200, Fabrice FACORAT wrote:
> Le Samedi 29 Septembre 2001 04:15, DindinX scribit :
> > --=-=-=
> > Name        : rpmdrake                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
> > Version     : 1.3                               Vendor: MandrakeSoft
> > Release     : 104mdk                        Build Date: Sat Sep 29 04:07:29
> > --=-=-=
> > * Sat Sep 29 2001 DindinX <odinOmandrakesoft.com> 1.3-104mdk
> >
> > - starting phase is now much faster
>
> How did you do to increase the startup time ?
> where was the issue ?

  Well, there wasn't _one_ issue, but many little things :
   - The hdlists files are now cached in a simple text file, so second and
     next loads of hdlists are much faster.
   - The installed packages are now detected before the installable one.
     Since rpmdrake has to know if an installable package is installed or not,
     it can now do this directly in memory. Before this was done using the
     rpmlib which is *very* slow.
   - the packages lists were always kept sorted. It isn't the case anymore.
     They are built unsorted and sorted afterward.
   - update the UI only one package out of 20.
   - maybe other things I don't remember.

        DindinX

--
  odin@mandrakesoft.com