List:       mandoc-discuss
Subject:    Re: Google Season of Docs
From:       Ingo Schwarze <schwarze () usta ! de>
Date:       2019-04-17 0:01:50

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Gregoratto wrote on Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 09:31:20AM +1000:

> Much like the Summer of Code,

If i remember correctly, OpenBSD participated one time in the GSoC -
and rued it.  The administrative overhead vastly exceeded the benefit.

> Google is now sponsoring a Season of
> Docs[1] to improve Open Source documentation. There's still time for
> organisations to submit applications for entry (until April 23 20:00
> UTC).
>
> The application details for projects are available here[2], but the gist
> is as follows:
>   - Get at least two "administrators" to oversee your projects

That's far beyond the means of the mandoc project.
I think it would even exceed the capacity of the OpenBSD project.

>   - Create a list of writing projects and then assign at least two
>     mentors for each of them. There's a couple of project ideas that
>     Google suggest here[3], but I'm sure you have your own.
>   - When you have finalised your list, publish them online.
>   - Submit your application and sign up your admins, mentors before the
>     23rd.
>
> After this, technical writers apply and get in contact with orgs.
> There's too much info here for me to summarise, so I'll just link the
> timeline[4]. Note that the actual writing period is Sep 2-Nov 22.
>
> Since I'm singing up

Singing up?  Do you mean "signing up"?  But even then, i'm not sure i
understand.  How can you sign up?  Individuals can only start signing
up after April 30 if i understand the timeline correctly.

> I thought I'd let you'd know, seems like something
> you might be interested in.

Thanks for the pointer, i hadn't heard about it before.  Sure, it
no doubt feels even less valuable than GSoC itself for reaping any
actual benefit - but all the same, hearing about what kind of
bureaucracy large corporations are erecting in the vicinity of our
project is no doubt interesting and entertaining.  :-)

Yours,
  Ingo