List:       mandoc-discuss
Subject:    Re: mandoc -Thtml cleanup
From:       "Anthony J. Bentley" <anthonyjbentley () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-25 0:08:23

Hi Kristaps,

> >> There's
> >> always that Table of Contents, which man.cgi generates but we don't...
> >
> > There are some link types that may be useful semantically for this kind
> > of thing:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.3
>
> Those look really cool!  Unfortunately, I don't see Firefox (for one)
> actually using this data in any way---I could easily supply SECTION and
> SUBSECTION fragment href's instead of having some clunky TOC, but that
> doesn't get me anywhere if the links aren't listed.

There's an extension for that:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2933/

Opera does have the buttons available. Also I believe that Opera will,
e.g., follow a <link rel="next"> if you hit space at the end of a page.
But yes, it's a real shame that most browsers don't have these easily
accessible to the user. They're neat features.

Search engines might use them as well but I don't know any details.

--
Hope this helps,
Anthony J. Bentley