List:       mandoc-discuss
Subject:    Re: mdocml: .Bl -column phrases ignore spacing rules for trailing
From:       Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps () bsd ! lv>
Date:       2010-08-21 17:29:44

Ingo,

> Now, as you said, this does not affect column lists only,
> but literal tabs outside column lists as well.
> But in literal context, there is no issue because spacing
> is kept verbatim in any case, and outside literal context,
> tabs are discouraged anyway.  So, basically, the tab vs space-tab
> surprise only affects column lists in practice.

Damn, I didn't know that it also worked as such outside of the `It'
context.  Even more gross.

Note well.  `It -column' can be changed to be like groff with fairly
minimal effort.  In short, the MDOC_EOS flag would need to be unset if
the tab is immediately preceded by non-whitespace.  It'd be only a few
lines, but I don't think this behaviour is worth following.  As you
noted, the "principle of most surprise" should not hold.

That reminds me: can you put a note in mdoc.7 COMPATIBILITY?

> Given that the traditional behaviour of column lists has been
> so quirky in so many ways, i regard it as sane to make it a bit
> easier to understand at the expense of minor issues with backward
> compatibility.  This is a case where i feel that idea applies.
>
> So, i propose the following patch instead.
> It works with all formatters.

I agree, for what it's worth.

Thanks!

Kristaps