List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: Use of the "Sender:" header
From:       Omar Thameen <omar () clifford ! inch ! com>
Date:       2000-12-14 23:10:00

What I was really thinking of doing was separating the envelope
address from the "Sender" address so I could have non-delivery
notifications go to the envelope (for piping through a program
or easy filtering) while preserving the "Sender" as owner-listname.
To change the envelope, I just need to change $mailer in the
majordomo.cf file, right?

Could you elaborate on why removing the sender breaks the RFC?
The RFCs seemed pretty ambiguous on the function of "Sender",
one stating that it's the agent that submitted the message to
the network, and another stating that it should be a human.

I realize that these 2 conditions aren't mutually exclusive since the
owner- address is supposed to be a person (don't know the RFC offhand).
I could see where the agent would be Mj, but I could also see where the
original author could be construed as submitting the message.  In the
latter case, I envision the function of "Sender" to be clarification that,
for example, user@work_address.com sent the message, but changed the
"From:" line to be user@home_address.com.

Omar