List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: Which header gives the "user address"?
From:       John R Levine <johnl () iecc ! com>
Date:       1999-04-27 22:35:44

> I've not seen any "Real Breakage."  Yes, it's just a recommendation.
> But the recommendation is there so that there is a expected behavior.
> The expected behavior is if I have a reply-to: it will be used.

John O. and I went around several times on this topic.

When I read the section of RFC822 that he's been referring to, I see language
that gives advice to MUA authors about what address(es) an MUA should suggest
when you click a "reply" button in your MUA, not language that mandates where
computer-generated messages should go.

I also see in appendix A clear examples that show that From: is who the
message is from, even if he wants replies to go somehere else, but the
replies it contemplates are substantive replies, not "is this really from
you?"

In any event, reasonable people can clearly differ on this topic, From:  is
one of the reasonable positions, and anyone who thinks that's horribly wrong
can of course futz with his copy of MJD to his heart's content.

Regards,
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47