List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: Headers on messages to owners
From:       rms39 () columbia ! edu (Russell Steinthal)
Date:       1999-04-22 22:35:26

On 21 Apr 1999 09:54:33 CDT, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

>RS> Notifications (when a user subscribes, unsubscribes, etc.) are
sent To:
>RS> list-owner@domain and From: mj2@domain.
>
>RS> Confirmation requests are sent From: list-owner@domain and don't
>RS> contain a To: header.
>
>That would be a bug, then.  Everything sent to the list owner should
show
>To: list-owner@domain (or a CC, perhaps, but I'm not sure there's
anything
>there that needs it).  If it doesn't, it should be fixed.  Feel free
>point these out when they happen.

[snip]

>so they do indeed have To: headers.  List owner consultations don't,
>though, and should more closely match what's above.

Sorry, I mistyped: I meant to write that CONSULT messages didn't have
To: headers; I checked my CONFIRM's, and they do.

As to what the From: line should say, I'm inclined to say that all
automated messages from the server should come From: majordomo, but
I'm probably missing some crucial point.  (That assumes you can glean
enough information from the token to specify an intelligent default
list for the command, even if it's not returned to
list-request@domain, which I assume is the case.)

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal