List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: Search engine hooks
From:       Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs () math ! uh ! edu>
Date:       1999-04-15 16:12:03

NB> My main reason why I suggested putting sequence numbers into the
NB> envelopes in the first place was to allow implementation of a 'recover'
NB> command which will cause Mj to automatically send you copies of all
NB> list mail which you missed while your email address was broken.

It wouldn't work in general (sequence number can just be reset; I'd set it
back to something small occasionally) and we already decided we'd have to
truncate it to save envelope space.  My only intention was to use it as a
statistical device, to verify that the bounces you're getting are from
different messages.  Thus something that changes per message, but may
repeat.

I have never, ever intended for sequence numbers to be unique message
identifiers; they are more like digest issue numbers.  Of course, digests
also have volume numbers; it is simpler to think of the archive number as a
combination of the two.

NB> Are you planning to out those archive numbers into the envelopes?

I wasn't.  Lengths of 13 or 14 characters are possible.  That's a lot of
waste in our limited envelope space.

 - J<