List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: Remove_line
From:       SRE <eckert () climber ! org>
Date:       1999-03-31 23:10:03

At 04:05 PM 3/16/99 +0100, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>I think it's not permissible to cut out lines which are part of the
>poster's message. However, here we are talking about lines which are
>not part of the poster's message, but which were attached to it by
>the poster's ISP. I have no hesitation to cut out such stuff.

On a slightly different vein, Mj2 already knows that it needs to
stop reading COMMANDS to avoid signature blocks. Why not have a
similar command for POSTS?

Right now, signature_separator is not implemented for lists, so
another option would be to use GLOBAL signature_separator for
truncating commands, and LISTNAME signature_separator for posts.

There could be a new option at the end of this line:
   configset GLOBAL signature_separator = /^[-_]/ p
or perhaps a boolean that says whether sigsep applies to posts also.

That avoids the problem of removing lines and making it look like
censorship or editing - you just document what constitutes a sig
block for your site and tell people to use something else. (Of
course the Juno/Yahoo/Netzero people can't change theirs, but they
didn't choose to put it there in the first place.)