List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    More digest stuff
From:       Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs () math ! uh ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-10 7:17:30

I have just committed changes to implement the remainder of the basic
digest functionality.

There is a 'digest' command implemented, supporting the following
operations:

  digest-incvol listname digestname
    increment the volume number and reset the issue number of the given
    digest.

  digest-check listname digestname
    cause the decision algorithm to be run; this will check to see if it is
    within the digest's parameters (appropriate time, enough messages,
    etc.) to actually generate a message.

  digest-force listname digestname
    force a digest to be generated immediately, assuming there are messages
    waiting.

ALL can be substituted for a digest name to run all digests.

In addition, the 'mkdigest' command is supported, though it does not yet
take the arguments in the same order (mkdigest listname password).

Normally the hourly cron job (mj_trigger -t hourly) will handle a
digest-check for all digests and all lists in all virtual domains, but some
folks might want better than hourly granularity so digest-check is
provided.  digest-force is also not needed because a method is provided to
limit the times when digest generation is allowable in a cron-like fashion,
but the list owner may want to generate digests at precise times so
digest-force is provided.

(In other words, Mj2 has something vaguely cron-like built in, but you can
do it yourself if you like.)

I also implemented the fine scheme for digest text matter that I discussed
earlier; the owner can upload files to be used as front and end matter for
digests, and various strings like $VOLUME and $ISSUE will be expanded.  A
digest I have running on one of my lists looks like:

Daily test digest (text)  -   Volume 1 : Issue 152

Today's Topics:
  Re(2): Honda Hoot        [Francois Saint Laurent <fsl@borgconsulting.com>]
  Re: Intercom v. Family Band
                           [Francois Saint Laurent <fsl@borgconsulting.com>]
  To:Doug <di9731@vci.net>         ["Chuck Chiodini" <chiodinc@hotmail.com>]
[...]

I'll test this a bit and hopefully snapshot it on Wednesday or Thursday.
Another major release is looming, since just about all Majordomo1
functionality is provided.

 - J<