List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: suggestion on running MJ1 and MJ2 on same server?
From:       Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs () math ! uh ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-05 19:16:33

BLH> Ok, I have a sec to get back to getting this running.  All seems cool,
BLH> just need to get the aliases "converted" now.

You shouldn't need to "convert" anything.  Mj2 will generate the aliases
for you.  Try creating a test list first and playing about if you haven't
already.

BLH> owner-nybong: bheess,

Mj2 (mj_email) handles forwarding to owners internally, so you can change
or add owners without changing aliases.  (Bounce processing will also work
this way.)

BLH> nybong-approval: approval

Mj2 doesn't use 'approval' addresses.  There is a plan for some equivalent
functionality in case you want the "owner" and the "approver" to be
different people.

BLH> nybong: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper resend -l nybong -h
BLH>   commline.com \ -p bulk -s nybong-outward,nobody"

mj_email handles resending tasks, too.  (Actually it handles all incoming
email for any Majordomo-run address.)

BLH> nybong-outward: "|/usr/local/bin/bulk_mailer -maxdomains 3 \
BLH>   owner-nybong@commline.com /usr/lists/Lists/nybong",nybong-archive, \
BLH>   "|/usr/lists/mw-nybong.pl",nobody

Mj2 doesn't have outgoing aliases, and can do bulk_mailer-type stuff
internally.  See the delivery_rules variable.  The sorting behavior of
bulk_mailer may not be completely implemented, though.  (I don't recall at
the moment how bulk_mailer sorts; Mj2 can sort by reverse domain but for
large lists it takes RAM and CPU to work.  When the BerkeleyDB backend is
finished the database will be kept sorted this way so sorting will come for
free.)

The equivalent delivery_rules setting would probably be:

approve password configset listname delivery_rules << END
ALL
maxdomains=3
END

Of course, you should get everything else working first.

BLH> nybong-archive: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive -f \
BLH>   /usr/lists/Archives/nybong/nybong -M -a"

Mj2 handles archiving internally.  Just make a directory and set
'archive_dir' or do

approve password put-dir listname /files/public/archives Archives

BLH> I need a little help in getting things going...

Well, the suggested aliases should be just fine.

 - J<