List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: Mj2 help files - please comment!
From:       Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs () hpc ! uh ! edu>
Date:       1999-01-19 0:09:15

BR> I agree though, that in general, things shouldn't be duplicated. But
BR> one shouldn't be required to get close to 50 help files just to be able
BR> to FULLY configure their list. ;-)

If you're configuring the list, you'll generally get the documentation for
the variables as part of the configshow command.  I can't imagine why
anyone would pull down the description of a config variable using 'help'
instead of 'configshow'; the latter includes info on the default value, the
allowed values and the current value which the help message wouldn't, and
can also be edited and mailed back to update the values) but putting them
in external files allows them to be translated and locally overridden.

There's really no reason for putting them somewhere help can get to them,
but there's not much reason not to.

And before anyone asks, I'm not really interested in extending help to do
generic inclusion and such; it was supposed to be simple and should remain
so.  If someone else wants to delve into it, feel free.

 - J<