List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: Majordomo-Docs mailing list archives now available via the web
From:       Andrew Cormack <Cormack () cardiff ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1997-10-27 10:23:11

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> How about a WAIS backend doing the indexing and search, with a suitable
> html user interface?  Is something like that available?

There's a gateway program called wwwwais which we use to provide web
access to a WAIS database. The released version displays a form and then
passes the query (after re-formatting) to a waisq or waissearch command;
then reformats the results as a web page. I chose it as the simplest way
to search our university web server a couple of years ago, so give no
promises as to whether it would still be my first choice. If you are
interested, it has a home page at:

	http://www.eit.com/software/wwwwais/wwwwais.html

and an example of the search we built around it can be found at:

	http://www.cf.ac.uk/search/all_uwcc

I have hacked the original code around a bit, to cope with variants on the
WAIS output format, and also to make it aware of Unix links so I only need
one executable with multiple links to it. The original had a hard-coded
config filename: mine takes it from the name with which the program was
called.

Hope this helps,
Andrew
       | Andrew Cormack               | email: cormack@cardiff.ac.uk     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |
       | Web page and PGP key: http://www.cf.ac.uk/People/cormack.html   |