List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: majordomo 1.94.3 vs ListProc 8.1???
From:       Brian Behlendorf <brian () hyperreal ! org>
Date:       1997-07-05 6:20:02

At 04:22 PM 6/30/97 -0400, John R Levine wrote:
>It's true, listproc does what it does faster.  But I would argue with any
>claim that it delivers the mail faster.  MJD hands off the message to the
>local mail transfer agent.  If the MTA is sendmail, delivery will be pretty
>slow.  If the MTA is qmail (also free), delivery will be quite fast, I
>believe as fast as listproc, listserv, or any other multithreaded mail
>delivery system, since qmail is as multithreaded as any.

Qmail is not multithreaded.  But it is fast, and the delivery processes are
so lightweight it approaches the memory savings a multithreaded daemon
might have.  On almost every platform it's run on, system resources are the
main bottlenecks (speed of DNS lookups, network bandwidth, disk I/O, etc).
I use qmail for my mailing list delivery even though I still use sendmail
as my smtp daemon, for mostly historical reasons.

>I would expect that there are usually far more messages delivered than list
>management actions done, so that for the stuff that you care about, MJD can
>be as fast as any other list manager.

When we see real subscriber databases in 2.0 and thus 0(logN) or O(1)
algorithm speed in removal of users, then I'll believe that claim.

	Brian