List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: From a Bunny Unix User (a simple question)
From:       Dave Wolfe <dwolfe () risc ! sps ! mot ! com>
Date:       1996-10-31 14:52:59

[ Neil Cotty writes: ]

> The problem occurs when I issue a 'mkdigest list password'
> command. I receive a :
>
> *** digest: failed errors follow
> sh: /usr/local/majordomo/digest: No such file or directory
>
> Now I *know* this message is coming because the digest program
> is not located in the $HOME directory but in the Tools directory.
> When I move digest to the $HOME directory it works just fine.
>
> Am I right that majordomo cannot find digest because it is not on the
> shell search path ?

No, digest is invoked directly by majordomo as $homedir/digest. Just
move digest from Tools to the same directory (the file) majordomo lives
in and it should be fine.

(Note to Mj-workers: am I wrong or is this an installation/majordomo bug?)

> I have tried creating .profile & .login files all over the place
> but it hasn't changed these environment vars. 8(
>
> Where exactly are these environment vars set ?

Wrapper sets the environment, including PATH, just like it wants it.
See wrapper.c. Get rid of all the .profile/.login files you've created.
They're only used if you logon as the Mj user and I've never seen any
need to do that, in fact I consider it a security hole (but then I'm
paranoid :-).

--
 Dave Wolfe