List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: limit on which returns? (fwd)
From:       Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs () hpc ! uh ! edu>
Date:       1996-10-30 4:36:06

JBB> However, if the intent of 'which' is too allow an individual to find
JBB> out what list he/she/it is subscribed to; then I suggest that it use
JBB> the equivilent of the mungedomain function to determine in which
JBB> lists, if any, that the current e-mail address is found and return
JBB> only those lists, by name.

No, the intent of which is to help someone who is receiving messages figure
out which address they need to unsubscribe.  It's not a big deal if they're
in the same basic domain, but people set up the most amazing forwarding
chains sometimes.  Plus there's the multiple screen name problem with AOL
and all other manners of confusion.  Note that mungedomain works when
unsubscribing and it's readily apparent just what list the mail is coming
from, so your suggestion would really buy very little.  It does bring up an
interesting point, that "which" sounds more like "which lists am I on" than
"which of all of the addresses on the server match this substring."

We need which to be able to find matches for any strings, so a user can
feed in possible past usernames and such.  The problem is doing this _and_
preserving a modicum of security.

Also of note with which is the fact that there is no approval mechanism.  I
suppose this isn't a problem because an individual list owner could always
do a who and search the file themselves.

 - J<