List:       majordomo-workers
Subject:    Re: buildaliases
From:       Bill Houle <Bill.Houle () SanDiegoCA ! NCR ! COM>
Date:       1996-04-26 21:01:12

At 03:08 PM 4/26/96 -0500, ckk@uchicago.edu wrote:
>Obviously this is primitive and could use a lot of work. But we've been using
>it for two years now to create new lists on our Majordomo host.

I just know I am going to regret saying this because there is probably
potential for something stupid or bad that we never thought about, but...

We maintain all list owner and moderator info in the config file itself
(using local keyword additions). Our "buildaliases" routine simply iterates
through the list configs, pulling out the proper attributes to write
$list-owner, $list-approval, $list-outgoing, etc into a Majordomo subset
aliases file. (This file is later appended to system aliases and other
subsets, and then shoved into a YP/NIS map, but that is irrelevant to my
revelation.)

The advantage of this mechanism is that, other than initial list creation,
it is *completely* hands free for the sysadmins. When list owners leave or
change positions, someone else assumes ownership (via mail or my previously
mentioned Web i/f) and we don't have to be involved.

We don't have archive or digest functions supported by these alias-config
attributes yet, but some day...

--
Bill Houle                                 Bill.Houle@SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation                            (619) 485-4027