List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Fw: two bounce mail issues
From:       Dan Liston <dliston () netscape ! com>
Date:       2001-02-28 8:12:32

-
By the looks of your message, I can't see anything that would keep it from being
posted to the list unless it was still catching the "uns'scribe" on line 5 of the
message body.  This list is not moderated (to the best of my knowledge).  Any time
you are unsure of a message being "filtered" by majordomo, you can prevent/circumvent
message body parsing by starting your message like I started this one.  A blank line
in the message body followed by a line containing only a dash (at the beginning of
the line), and then the actual text of your message.

As for managing bounces, Majordomo has no concept of undeliverable mail.  It hands
off deliveries to the MTA and forgets about it.  There are a couple packages I have
seen that help with this though.  Autobounce and bouncefilter are freeware or
opensource tools, and another one called smartbounce which is a commercial product.
I do not endorse any commercial products, but if you want to shop and/or experiment,

http://www.smartbounce.com/    #used to have a "lite" version
http://www.thinkcoach.com/bouncefilter/bouncefilter2.1a11.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/majordomo/autobounce

Dan Liston

> Janet Jordan wrote:
>
> Dan,
> I have attempted to submit this to the list a few times -- guess the first time I
had unsubscribe in the address.  Now, I'm not sure.  Is the list moderated?  If so,
maybe this is not the type of thing you think is a valid question here??  If so, I'll
stop trying.

> If it's not moderated, and the mail is just not being posted, can you help me out
with why?

> Thanks,
> Janet

non-existant account (be it an ex-employee whose account has been deactivated -- or
just unsolicited mail to a non-existant email address) that it automatically responds
in the proper format with "uns'scribe" -- from the proper email address?

> My mail queue is chock full of bounces (again and again) responding to mailing
lists for non-existant accounts.  These mail servers try for 3 or 4 days to deliver
the same piece of undeliverable mail.  Right now, all undeliverable mail is going to
thepostmaster -- who really is busy enough without having to respond to each one
personally!!

> I'd like to have bounces end up in some predefined location and automatically
respond with the unsubscribe from the targeted account - without actually having to
keep an account open for all possibilities.  Who could afford the time to do that??

> What about the lists who send to "undisclosed recipients" -- how's anyone to know
who it was intended for, and thus make sure the "unsubscribe" is issued
appropriately?

> It's not like this particular mail even has a chance of making it to anyone who
will read it!!

> BTW -- I do make an effort to remove undeliverable mail from my lists, in order to
maybe make someone elses job more palatable.  Is there some setting in majordomo
which will not attempt to send to undeliverables more than twice?