List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    permission denied
From:       "D. Liston" <dliston () netscape ! com>
Date:       2001-01-27 23:04:59

The shlock failures are almost always file permission errors.
If you search the FAQ for shlock, you should get several hits.
If you used RPM to install majordomo, look in /usr/doc/majordomo-1.94.5/FAQ.

I don't believe sendmail 8.8 uses smrsh by default, so that should not be an
issue.  You might want to do this though;

cd /path-to/majordomo
chown -R majordom:majordom *
chown root:majordom wrapper
#assuming lists is under majordomo
chmod -R 640 lists

The sendmail FAQ recommends "against" using daemon as the group for majordomo.

Delete any .LOCK files in your lists directory, if you have not customized
any of your listname.config files, delete them too.  Majordomo will recreate
them the next time one of them is accessed.

If you compiled your wrapper, and did not use the RPM install, you will have
to modify Makefile to reflect the majordomo group ID, recompile, and reinstall.

Dan Liston