List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: inconsistent b*ounce failure
From:       "D. Liston" <dliston () netscape ! com>
Date:       2001-01-27 22:16:43

Eric Crump wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've got a problem that seeems pretty mysterious to me. I'm hoping there's
> a clue below. I'm running 1.94.4 on Redhat 6.0 with sendmail 8.9.3. I have
> some lists that properly bounce messages to the list manager account and
> others that fail to bounce messages at all. I keep looking at these
> alias sets and can't find a difference between the lists that work and
> those that don't (all the aliases are created by the same shell script so
> start out, at least, identical in form).
>
> The first alias below is for a list that fails to bounce messages it
> should bounce (like for attempted postings by non-subscribers). The
> example below is the aliases for a list that successfullly bounces
> messages that should bounce.
>
> I'd be grateful for any clues or suggestions.

First, the aliases are not usually what controls messages being bounced to
the list-owner (other than using resend), the list.config files do.  Are
all of them set with a restrict_post = listname:listname-digest ?  Without
this, mail is allowed into the list from anyone.

Second, the -p argument to resend is supposed to identify the precedence
of the mail, not the bulk_mailer.  Here is a clip from resend itself;

#       -l <list-name>          REQUIRED: specify list name
#       -h <host-name>          specify host name
#       -f <from-addr>          specify "sender" (default <list-name>-request)
#       -M <max-msg-length>     specify max message length to forward
#       -p <precedence>         add "Precedence: <precedence>" header
#       -r <reply-to>           add "Reply-To: <reply-to>" header
#       -I <file-list>          Bounce messages from users not listed in file
#                               in colon-separated <file-list>
#       -a <passwd>             approval password
#       -A                      moderate list (require "Approved:" for posting)
#       -R                      delete "Received:" lines
#       -s                      enable "administrivia" checks
#       -d                      debug; say it, but don't do it
#       -C                      alternate config file

Third, are you sure someone is not writing directly to your -outgoing
alias for the list?  Unless you trap this with a virtusertable entry,
procmail filter, or some other means, anyone can post to your subscribers.

Dan Liston