List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: User Unknown error
From:       Rick Green <rtg () mich ! com>
Date:       2000-02-27 6:00:49

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Paul E Davis wrote:

> For some reason my aliases do not seem to be working properly.  I am
> totally lost on this one.  If (from the same machine as majordomo) I send
> an email using "echo 'message' |mail majordomo@host" it works great.
> Goes where it is suppose to.  However if I send mail through pine (same
> machine, pine connects to an IMAP server on same machine) it gives me user
> unknown.  Same with sending from any where on the internet.  Why would the
> aliases be strictly local?  Could this be due to IMAP?  To better give an
> idea, I am running RedHat 6.1.  Thanks in advance.
>
> - Paul E Davis
 It appears to me that you took the option of defining your majordomo
aliases in a separate file, and declaring that file in addition to
/etc/aliases in sendmail.cf.
  When you change sendmail.cf, you must completely stop and restart the
sendmail daemon.  HUP doesn't force the config to be re-read.  So the
daemon doesn't know about the new aliases.
  The reason it appears to work when you use /bin/mail to send the
message, is that mail spawns a new copy of sendmail to process the
message, rather than talking to the daemon listening on port 25.  Of
course, the new copy has to read sendmail.cf for itself.

--
Rick Green