List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Handling of huge lists
From:       Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui () plaidworks ! com>
Date:       1999-03-31 1:47:46

At 4:34 PM -0500 3/29/99, malgosia askanas (staff) wrote:
> Do you-all have any experience with, or thoughts about, majordomo's ability
> to run very large lists -- say, of one million addresses?  Could I do it
> with, say, just sendmail?  With sendmail and bulk-mailer?  With something
> other than sendmail?  What problems would I run into?

It all depends on your hardware capabilities, your network
capabilities, and how fast you want stuff delivered. you can have a
list of infinite size on an 8080, if you don't mind it taking an
infinite time to deliver. The rest, as they say, is a compromise
between engineering and budget.

the answer is yes, you can do this. Go wandering through the
majordomo-users archives; I've talked about various aspects of this a
couple of times. (some day, I need to write some of this up more
formally, but at this point, I'm not going to do it until after I'm
doing it all with majordomo2.)

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui@plaidworks.com)