List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Problems with long header fields
From:       Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs () math ! uh ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-27 22:23:18

TG> Will this be configurable per list in Mj2?

[tibbs@morpheus 2.0]$ mj_shell -p XXX configshow test-list max_total_header_length,max_header_line_length
# max_header_line_length
# (448)                [integer] <resend>
# Sets the maximum length of a single header in an unapproved message.
# This can be used to prevent excessive CC'ing or to cut down on some
# types of spam.  Set to zero to disable length checks on single
# headers.
configset test-list max_header_line_length = 448

# max_total_header_length
# (2048)               [integer] <resend>
# Sets the maximum length of the headers in an unapproved message.  Set to
# zero to disable the total length check.
configset test-list max_total_header_length = 2048

Note that:

  1) max_header_line_length really measures the length of one header entry,
     including continued headers.  (Mj1 just measures the length of single
     lines; if a header spans multiple lines it doesn't trap the filter.)

  2) These are access variables, so you have finer control than just a
     per-list setting.  You can put different restrictions on nonmembers or
     users from certain domains or do all kinds of things.

TG> (I take it that isn't possible in 1.94.4)

Since majordomo.cf is Perl code and the list name is available there, you
can do something like this in majordomo.cf:

$MAX_TOTAL_HEADER_LENGTH = 1024;
if ($opt_l eq 'somelist) {
  $MAX_TOTAL_HEADER_LENGTH = 4096;
}

It's not as nice as having it in the list configuration, though.

 - J<