List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Refusing .forward?
From:       Leslie Mikesell <les () Mcs ! Net>
Date:       1998-06-30 21:37:12

According to Rich Pieri:

> > This may be uncommon but it's 2 out of 2 of the addresses I use but don't
> > control.
>
> A myth.  The originator of a message *ALWAYS* controls his identity.

Then the point of checking is only to make things difficult for the people
who aren't forging messages???

> That is as much of a hint as I will give.

It is a pretty common configuration for sendmail to masquarade
all the machines in a domain as just the domain name and have
it rewrite everything in its cw list as the masquaraded name.
I can stick my own From: on a message, but chinet.chinet.com
still goes out as chinet.com, or it did the last time I tried
and according to the sendmail docs, it is supposed to.

  Les Mikesell
    les@mcs.com