List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    major problem :-( "majordomo: Permission denied"
From:       Rich Haller x6-1716 <rhaller () darkwing ! uoregon ! edu>
Date:       1995-04-27 19:31:04

Some time ago I reported a problem with md where I couldn't get it to
serve lists unless they were world readable.

Well I didn't know when I was well off. To make a long story short, I
have now broken it compleletely. This is on a Sun running Solaris System
V Release 4.0, md 1.93, perl5.000

We installed md under username listmast and group cc_acad for reasons
that seemed good at the time. After running into the world readable
problem, I went ahead an installed in on my NeXT using the instructions
in Mananging Internet Information Services. It worked fine without world
readable.

So, I decided to try installing it on the Sun using the majordom username
and group. Unfortunately, I let the system person talk me into simply
renaming the and changing the group on the listmast account instead of
doing it in parallel.

When we did so, everything went to hell. If I send anything to majordomo,
an error message arrives in majordom's mailbox as follows:
Any ideas of what the problem is? All the files are owned by
majordom/majordom and majordomo and its .pl files are all world readable.
Rich

The original message was received at Thu, 27 Apr 1995 12:21:57 -0700
from rhaller@localhost

   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
"|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"  (unrecoverable error)
    (expanded from: majordomo <majordomo@darkwing.uoregon.edu>)

majordomo: Permission denied