List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: digest gives "Possible alias loop" warning
From:       "John P. Rouillard" <rouilj () cs ! umb ! edu>
Date:       1994-09-29 19:00:42

In message <9409291758.AA23725@casbs.Stanford.EDU>,
Patrick Goebel writes:

>I'm running Majordomo version 1.92 on a Sun SPARC (SunOS 4.1.1).  If a
>digest list has no members (e.g. $homedir/lists/test-digest exists
>but is empty) digest yields the message:
>
>producing test-digest V1 #3
>        processing /home/majordomo/digests/test-digest/001
>test-digest-outgoing... Possible alias loop
>No valid recipients
>
>The "No valid recipients" makes sense, but what about the "Possible
>alias loop"?  If I add at least one member to the test-digest list,
>the warning goes away.

This is a spurious error messague under some versions of
sendmail. Empty included files give it headaches sometimes.

I put /dev/null in at the top of my alias files.  Alternatively you
can require that your list owners subscribe to the lists they manage.

				-- John
John Rouillard

Senior Systems Administrator		  IDD Information Services
rouilj@dstar.iddis.com			  Waltham, MA (617) 890-1576 x225

Senior Systems Consultant (SERL Project)  University of Massachusetts at Boston
rouilj@cs.umb.edu (preferred)	          Boston, MA, (617) 287-6480