List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Performance of List Service Packages
From:       murphy () dccs ! upenn ! edu
Date:       1994-09-29 15:05:22

I am in the process of investigating MajorDomo 1.92 and ListProc 6.0c.
I've set up some simple test lists in order to get an understanding of
the functionality of the two packages, and that's been quite useful.

But it doesn't help me evaluate the performance of the packages.

If you are running a list service or mailing list management package,
and if you have a few minutes, perhaps you could help me get a rough
idea what sort of system load and resources we'll be needing to run a
list server installation.

1. Which package are you running (include version number)?

2. How many people are at your University, company, institute, etc?
(There are roughly 30,000 people at Penn)

3. What sort of system are you running (include vendor, operating
system type, hardware model)?

4. How much memory and disk space are dedicated to the list service?

5. Is the list server the only service on your system, or are you also
running other services, such as public e-mail accounts, Gopher, FTP,
Netnews, or WWW on the same system?

6. What version of sendmail are you running?  (If not sendmail then
what?)

7. What is the turn-around time for a message to make it all the way
through your "average" list?

8. How many subscribers are on the list?  How many messages a day go to
the list?

9. Anything else that is relevant to sizing the system appropriately
for this service?

Thank you,

--lam
| Linda A Murphy                           |
| murphy@dccs.upenn.edu                    |
| http://lam.dccs.upenn.edu/~murphy/       |
| Lead Programmer/Analyst                  |
| PennNet Services Development & Support   |
| Data Communications & Computing Services |
| University of Pennsylvania               |