List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: control characters in subscriber's address
From:       steve () mailhost ! interaccess ! com (Steve Norton)
Date:       1994-03-20 7:49:09

> I have the problem of someone accidentally put a control character in his
> email address when subscribing. The mailing list that he subscribed to
> will contain the control character and no one can send mail to that
> mailing list as it will bounce....
> Has any one have this problem before?

Yes, I've seen this happen several times.  My problem has always been with
Eudora for the Macintosh.  Apparently (I'm 50% sure this is what happens) the
user can enter a delete key in the name field (instead of using backspace)
and messages get tagged with 'reply to: luzer<DEL>@yomama.com'.  Some email
programs (i.e. pine) will ignore it, some (i.e. elm) will barf on seeing this.
My solution has been to beat the user on the head and tell them to re-enter
their return address.

However, I have been looking into 1) adding a rule or two to sendmail.cf
(difficult at best because I'm not sure sendmail will like having the
char in it), and 2) adding a little bit of code to majordomo to ignore it.
Any other ideas?