List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Uncooperative Maj-- *Smail* (sigh).
From:       Alan Millar <amillar () bolis ! sf-bay ! org>
Date:       1993-09-25 16:55:06

And verily didst Iain O'Cain spake of these matters:

> It appears that Smail didn't like the multiline majordomo "resend"
> aliases, 'cause I just tried joining it all onto one line, and my next
> message to www-users worked.
>
> <SIGH>

Oh yeah.  I had this problem but forgot about it.

SMail will happily use multiline commands if you end each line with
a backslash continuation character:

	ACT: "|/usr/local/mail/majordomo/wrapper resend -M 100000 \
		-l ACT -f Owner-ACT -h Bolis.SF-Bay.org -R \
		ACT-outgoing"
	ACT-outgoing:	:include:/usr/local/mail/lists/act, ACT-archive
	ACT-archive:	"|/usr/local/mail/majordomo/wrapper archive.pl \
			/usr/local/mail/files/act"

By the way, the most invaluable tool for troubleshooting the SMail setup
is to run "smail -bv -v " plus the alias name, which gives you a complete
diagnosis of what SMail will try to do with the setup.

- Alan

Alan Millar            amillar@bolis.SF-Bay.org              __oo  \
System Administrator                                           =___/
If only we were all weiner dogs, our problems would be solved!  -Brave Little Toaster