List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    util to verify addresses?
From:       Kasuga Jingoro <jingoro () tcp ! com>
Date:       1993-09-10 2:22:32

Hello Majordomo folks,

	I seem to recall reading here a while back about a utility which
would scan a mailing list's subscribers file and verify that the addresses
were legal, similiar to smtp's VRFY command.  I've had a bit of trouble
on a couple of my lists with malformed addresses getting into the list.
When this happens sendmail will ignore every address on the list after
the bad address.  It seems also that sendmail is a little more picky
about what a valid address is than Majordomo is.  Anyways, I looked through
the majordomo-users archives briefly and couldn't find it.  Does anyone
recall the article I remember or know of a utility that does what I want?
I've also been thinking of ways to beef up the valid_addr subroutine and
have thought maybe the best thing would be to send the address in a
VRFY command to sendmail.  This is more overhead but is more likely to
screen out bad addresses.  Ideas?

Thanks

---- jingoro@tcp.com -- Jim Lick -- jingoro@rahul.net -- jIngOrO@CaveMUCK ----
--:):-- perfect little dream the kind that hurts the most -- |\| | |/| --:(:--
--- CaveMUCK is back! --- Telnet to cave.tcp.com (128.95.10.106) port 2283 ---
-- Finger me for fun,  excitement or for my PGP Public Key Encryption Block --