List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: better docs - want some ?
From:       Brent Chapman <brent () GreatCircle ! COM>
Date:       1993-08-14 21:39:23

"Vincent D. Skahan" <vds7789@aw101.iasl.ca.boeing.com> writes:

# First a bit of an offer, then a question or two....
#
# The Offer
# =========
#
# I've gone through the code (wow! nice and clean to read) and generated sample

Thanks!

# data files for all the kinds of lists.  I've created the appropriate info
# files describing what each list can and can't do automatically.

Cool!

# Would there be value in having a 'samples' directory with these files in them
# so people would have a better clue of which lists were possible and which
# files are needed for each type?   The problem is that of course the docs
# haven't caught up with the code (which I believe is the law in at least ten
# states :-)
#
# I can make the sample files available in a shar archive since they're
# very small and either mail them to Brent or to the list...

Vincent has already sent me a copy of the files, which I'll be
including with a future Majordomo release (whenever that will be).

In the mean time, I've asked him to email them to the list, so that
everyone can benefit.

# The questions...
# ================
#
# It struck me in reading the code that when somebody tries to get on a list
# that requires approval, that they kind'a sit and wait with no feedback either
# way.

They get a message that says "your request has been forwarded to the
list owner for approval".  They get another message if/when the
request is eventually approved.  They get nothing if the request is
never approved; in that case, currently, the list owner should send
them a message telling them why their request was disapproved.

# Is there any value in coming up with a 'disapprove' command that
# would do something like:
# 	- send mail saying their request is denied (maybe list.denyinfo)
# 	- add their address to a list.denied file in the list dir
# 	- maybe do a check in the list.denied info to prevent future
# 		attempts to subscribe

Seems like something of very limited applicability to me.

# It also struck me that mailing lists are ripe for abuse.
# I was also thinking about the same thing for a 'remove' command that would
# do something like:
#
# 	- send mail saying they've been removed from the list (list.removeinfo)
# 	- add them to the list.denied file (and/or list.removed)
# 	- maybe do a check in the list.denied info to prevent future
# 		attempts to subscribe

Again, it seems like something with limited applicability to me.

Like always, though, if somebody does the code according to my
guidelines and sends me diffs, I'll think about integrating it into
the release.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent@GreatCircle.COM                           1057 West Dana Street