List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Installation/config for server and multiple hosts
From:       shenton () sled ! gsfc ! nasa ! gov (Chris Shenton)
Date:       1993-05-21 18:02:29

I've just brought up majordomo and it was a bit of a pain in our
environment. It looks like the majordomo files are designed to be run
out of the directory where you unload them.

Here, we have an NFS server where software is unloaded, and a
/usr/local tree where executables are installed. I wanted to be able
to run majordomo on a number of different NFS client hosts -- they
belong to different departments.

So I modified the Makefile to allow installation of the executables
(wrapper and the perl scripts) in one directory; eg: on the NFS
server I used:

	/usr/local/lib/majordomo/

and the config file and lists (control file) directories on another;
eg: on the client host I used:

	/var/majordomo/majordomo.cf
	/var/majordomo/lists/

It does the install (by copying, to fit our `installed software'
mentality) and then does the appropriate chown/chmod as specified in
the README.

This works well and -- now that I've done the install once -- should
protect me from my ignorance of where everything is supposed to live.
:-) If you set the Makefile variables appropriately, it should act
just like the stock version -- a drop-in replacement.

If anyone wants it, I'll be happy to send it to you. Brent, if you
want to fold it in to your distribution, I can give you diffs.

Ciao!

-- Chris.Shenton@gsfc.nasa.gov                      NASA/GSFC/HSTX 301-286-7905