List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: [adamfox@decartes.super.org: Re: majordomo ]
From:       Brent Chapman <brent () GreatCircle ! COM>
Date:       1993-05-10 20:35:09

# A couple questions:
#
# On the config file.
#
# $whereami = "decartes.super.org";
# $whoami = "majordom@$whereami";		--- ??
# $whoami_owner = "Majordomo-Owner@$whereami";   -- ??
# $homedir = "/home/majordom";
# $listdir = "$homedir/lists";
# $log = "$homedir/Log";
# $mailer = "/usr/lib/sendmail -f\$sender \$to";
#
# The two places where I have a ?? I'm not sure what to put in there.
# I have a UID called majordom.

$whoami should point to the alias that runs Majordomo.  For instance,
if you have the following in your /etc/aliases file:

	majordomo: "|/usr/local/mail/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"

then you should set $whoami to "majordomo@$whereami" (capitalized, if
you like).

If have a "majordom" account, and you set $whoami to
"majordom@$whereami", you have to make sure that mail for that account
is forwarded to the majordomo script with either an alias or a
.forward file.

# Is the $whereami REALLY matter if you are on a machine or is it just
# used to build the $whoami for a return address?

It's used to build $whoami and other addresses within Majordomo.

# In other words, could I just set $whereami to super.org even though
# it may be running on decartes.super.org or does that matter?

It can be the domain name, if your mail can be sent there.  For
instance, the name of the machine here that actually runs mail is
mycroft.greatcircle.com, but I have $whereami set to "GreatCircle.COM"
because mail addressed to "*@GreatCircle.COM" will be delivered on
mycroft.

# Thanks (please reply by mail to me, thanks much!)

You're welcome.  I've replied to the list because there might be
others confused about this.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent@GreatCircle.COM                           1057 West Dana Street