List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Majordomo messages to hotmail users
From:       "Peter P. Benac" <ppbenac () emacolet ! com>
Date:       2003-09-19 15:50:51

Please excuse the late entry into this thread..

To get around Hotmail, Yahoo, MSN, AOL and Excites bulk mail blockers
several things have to occur.  First and foremost you can NOT be an open
relay or Blacklisted in a DNSBL.

Second you need to reduce the number of To: addresses in the header. In
Sendmail this is down by reducing TOBUFSIZ to a number that will keep the
total number of addresses in the To: line below 15 or 20.  I have mine
reduced to 2048.

Third and really more important is you have to reduce the number of
contagious connections to these Mail Servers. Any number above 5 coupled
with To: addresses above 15 or 20 will get you blocked.  This is done in
Sendmail by reducing MAXMAILERS to a number well below the default 25.  Keep
in mind that this is the TOTAL number of mailers and not the total mailers
connected to a single source.  I have reduced mine to 15 and all the above
mentioned mail servers seem to be OK with it.

These values are set in sendmail-8.X.X/include/sendmail/sendmail.h
(MAXMAILERS)  and
Sendmail-8.X.X/sendmail/conf.h (TOBUFSIZ)  You will need to recompile
sendmail.

It will slow down your lists to a small degree, but it will greatly increase
your ability to get through the initial blocks these providers have. Getting
past their SPAM/Virus Filters is a whole different matter and one I am not
going to even go into.

For those of you using Postfix the equivalent of these values are in the
Postfix's configuration file.

Regards,
Pete
----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Emacolet Networking Services, Inc
Providing Systems and Network Consulting, Training, Web Hosting Services
Phone: 919-847-1740 or 866-701-2345
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
             First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!