List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: MD-users issues ... offline
From:       Daniel Liston <dliston () sonny ! org>
Date:       2003-05-30 3:59:36

henryn wrote:
> Dan:
>
> Thanks for your response to my off-line plea for help:
>

>> I can understand your frustration with the mailing list as of late.  It does
>> seem to be slowing down and functioning poorly.
>
> That's not a good sign!  I'm new here.  Can you give me a bit of background?

This list seems to be more active today than it has been in a very long time.
Normally my messages to the list show up in my mailbox minutes after posting,
but this has changed in the last few weeks.  I have been reminded that this
list is running on majordomo 2 now.  I doubt that has anything to do with the
delays though. Maybe it's postfix. (teasing other users now) :P

[snip]

> Here's the complete scenario for #1:
>
> 1. Unsuspecting civilian sends
>
>    subscribe fumlist
>
> to a Majordomo list in the message body.  Her email client (evidently) does
> the "name thing" and identifies the sender both by name and email address,
> e.g.
>
>     "Blank, Jo"  jo.blank@somedomain.org
>
> 2.  Majordomo correctly processes the message and --being configured to do
> so-- sends a "Someone (possibly you) has requested..." request for
> confirmation to Jo.
>
> Jo sees the following:
>
>    If you really want this action to be taken, please send the following
>    commands (exactly has shown) back to "majordomo@somelistserver.org"
>
>    auth  123456789ab  subscribe fumlist "Blank, Jo" \
>                                    <jo.blank@somedomain.org>

This is an interesting split point.  My test results were stated
in the previous email.  Is it possible your majordomo is not 1.94.5?
Or possible that your ISP has modified your majordomo, breaking
this functionality?  I probably did not use a close enough
similarity to your user's address, your listname, or the long
domain name to get the result you are seeing.

> 3. Jo dutifully responds EXACTLY as instructed.
>
> 4. Majordomo replies
>
>     >>>> auth 123456789ab  subscribe fumlist "Blank, Jo"
>     ***** subscribe:  invalid address '"Blank Jo"'
>     >>>> Command '<jo.blank@somedomain.org>' not recognized
>     >>>>

> Strangely:  Majordomo sends no trace of this set of transactions to the
> Administrator, even though it is quite free with its notifications in
> general.

As discussed in my other post, setting the "strip = yes" in your list's
config file will keep a line split under control.  After the users are
subscribed, they never see their name/email in the distributions unless
they are the one posting anyway.

[snip]

>>  Again, bug or annoying design?
>
> Beats me, I'm new here.

That comment was more for the list than for you, but I can appreciate a
"beats me" once in awhile too.

Dan Liston