List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Permission Problems
From:       Daniel Liston <dliston () sonny ! org>
Date:       2003-03-24 21:49:56

Matt Mahoney wrote:
> I have no clue what my Majordomo is doing. Here is a brief summary:
>>
>> 1 - Installed RPM

What version of rpm file did you use for installing majordomo?
Can we assume 1.94.5-2?

>> 2 - Setup the wrapper to work with Sendmail

What version of sendmail are you running?
Is RedHat linux your OS?  What version?

>> 3 - Setup moderation and maintainer email address - mattm@ems-i.net
>> (which is the server and this forwards to my actual address
>> mattm@ems-i.com)

Exactly which settings in the config file did you use for these?

>> 4 - Setup maillist gms-l , sms-l and wms-l

What do your aliases for these lists look like?  Feel free to offer
a generic look-alike set of aliases if you are worried about the
security of your lists.

>> gms-l in the message body and sent it plain text.

Sounds normal.

>> 6 - I get the
>> message back saying somebody most likely you requested to subscribe
>> with an authorization code to send back to mattm@ems-i.com.

I think the authorization key should have been sent back to the
majordomo address at ems-i.com rather than the moderator's address.

>> 7 - I send
>> it to mattm@ems-i.com I get the request to authorize for moderation
>> and I authorize it and it should be done.

What command did you use to authorize the membership in the list?

>> Problem: It doesn't write the address to the gms-l file in my
>> /var/lib/majordomo/lists folder.
>>
>> It used to be setup with 755 permissions with root as owner and
>> majordomo as the group. I changed the user to majordom like everything

Are any of the directories before "lists" world or group writable?
Are there any indicators of sendmail interferance in the maillog file?
What about the /var/lib/majordomo/log file?

Sorry if I seem anal.  Specific information will help nail down
the problem much quicker than a general summary.  You did summarize
quite well though.

Dan Liston