List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Moving MJ lists to another server
From:       "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone () sage-one ! net>
Date:       2002-12-30 0:12:35

Dan: Thanks for the review of the move planned & according to your check
list, it does indeed look like I have all of the bases covered. ALL of the
directory structures/permissons are eXactly identical on both servers.

I can personally administer the MX records and always save that for last
after a server is configured. The only sloppy part will be the propagation
of the change in IP addresses, especially since the zsubscriberz are in
more than 180 countries. This means, for at least a few hours (or even
days), some DNS global servers around the globe will still be seeing the
old IP address for the domains with the lists being moved. That will
persist until those servers flush their respective caches of course. Some
zsubscriberz may have some trouble with the turnaround until the new IP can
resolve.

So, the only 1 of your 3 gotchas that is a little uncontrollable is #2, the
MX records which I will change immediately after moving the directories,
changing virtusertable, and, oh yes..., plus the /etc/mail/local-host-names
file must have the new mail.domains added which also tells the new server
which hosts are to receive the mails.

Then, I must run: /usr/sbin/makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable
for the new domains. Finally, restart sendmail.

Guess, then we've covered averything.

The main concerns was the part about just copying the directories/files
from OLD server to NEW.... your answer concludes that yes I can.... if they
are identical in every way.

Thanks, Dan....!!

At 05:38 PM 12.29.2002 -0600, Daniel Liston wrote:
>IF your majordomo user and group are the same on both machines, you can
>just tar up the lists digests and archives directories from OLD and extract
>on NEW.  Make sure you get any applicable crontab entries and of course the
>aliases file containing your lists, and if hosting, your virtusertable too.
>Sorry, I am also assUming your directory structure is the same on both the
>OLD and NEW servers, and MX records are properly set to get mail that would
>have gone to the OLD server redirected to the NEW server.
>
>If your directory structure and/or your majordomo uid:gid are not the same
>across both machines, you have a horse of a different color.
>
>Step 1.  Sendmail on NEW recognizes all the domains it is serving.
>Step 2.  Sendmail security allows majordomo to work on the NEW server.
>Step 3.  List and config files are copied with proper ownership and
permissions.
>Step 4.  Archives and digest work directories are copied into their place.
>Step 5.  Activate the relocated lists by rebuilding aliases [and
virtusertable].
>optional
>Step 6.  Redirect mailing lists from OLD to NEW via mailertable on OLD
until MX
>records reflecting the changes kick in.
>
>You can do this one domain at a time, but moving all at once might be
easiest.
>I do not know your proceedure for provisioning domains, so Step 1 is crucial.
>
>Possible gotchas, are
>1. uid:gid of majordomo between machines
>2. MX records
>3. crontab entries
>
>Dan Liston
>
>Jack L. Stone wrote:
>> MOVING MAIL SERVER:
>>>From OLD mail server: FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE - majordomo-1.94.5 -
Sendmail-8.11.6
>> To NEW mail server: FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE - majordomo-1.94.5 -
Sendmail-8.12.6

>> I need to relocate existing mail lists from one mail server to another (see
>> above). Majordomo has been installed and is working on some test domains
>> just fine - regular lists, digest & archives.
>>
>> Now, next I need to move the existing lists which have several thousand
>> subscribers on each -- both regular and digests.
>>
>> My BIG questions are:
>>
>> 1. Would it be best to install the lists first, then copy over (using NFS)
>> all of the various files (lists, archives, digests and configs) for each
>> domain...??
>>
>> I would be using the "-p" switch for the Unix copy command to keep the
>> permissions the same. OR, can I just copy over to the new server ALL of the
>> MJ directories for each domain rather than INSTALL them? Each domain has
>> its own main directory under "/usr/local/majordomo/"
>>
>> In both cases, of course, the move will include updating the aliases and
>> virtusertable, etc. Sendmail already knows that MJ is there.
>>
>> 2. AND, will the daily digests, archives in progress continue to work and
>> just pick up where they left off on the old server...??? i.e., send out the
>> next digest intact inclduing the messages setting in the work directories?
>> ...and archive intact? Again, will copy over the SAME config files and SAME
>> version of majordomo-1.94.5
>>
>> Appreciate feedback on this as it's VERY important so as not to mess up the
>> lists.
>>
>> Thanks & Happy New Year!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jack L. Stone,