List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Server recommendation?
From:       Daniel Liston <dliston () sonny ! org>
Date:       2002-11-29 21:22:38

I have to agree with Richard on several points, and I should not be so quick
to make some of the many assumptions I tend to make.  On the other hand, if
you can learn the "black art" of sendmail, you can learn just about anything.

Richard provided an excellent history and reminded me of Eric's own comments.
One point I would add too, is that sendmail is/was a pure MTA (mail transport
agent).  It knows nothing about user agents or delivery agents.  It needs to
talk to other applications to actually get mail delivered.  It also knows of
TLS authenticated transactions.  Lately, procmail seems to be the preferred
delivery agent, at least by redhat linux.

RedHat is even beginning to provide alternative choices to sendmail, but they
are still bundling and selecting sendmail as the default MTA.  There are many
choices out there, and your true "needs" must be determined before making your
decision.  Even the choice of your OS will provide individual advantages and
disadvantages.  These things are all as individual as you or your needs are.

As someone just learning unix or unix-like operating systems, and a newbie to
administration of email and mailing lists, keeping life as simple as possible
could end up being your primary goal.  There are mailing lists such as this
one to get help/support for any almost every application.  Deciding which one
to use will be up to you.  Please make those decisions based on research, fact,
and your needs, not just opinions or philosophies of others.  My decisions do
tend to be emotional, where Richard was very good at pointing out facts.

Dan Liston