List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: Hello Again Dan -- Major Help!
From:       Daniel Liston <dliston () sonny ! org>
Date:       2002-03-30 4:04:07

Jack, I do not recall previous discussions of script modifications,
but the newlist2.pl does not search for a Password.  It DOES search
the password file for a majordomo uid:gid and a $HOME directory, so
it can set file and directory ownership and permissions properly.

The "pw" you are referring to is just a file handle to reference the
password file, not the actual password.

Server Admin wrote:

> Dan: On my earlier post to you about the script modifications, I forgot one
> or two other things. I noice your script interrogates the /etc/passwd file
> in seach of a pw, however, the install sets up Majordomo as a Pseudo user
> "user majordom" as follows:
> majordom:*:54:54:Majordomo Pseudo User:/usr/local/majordomo:/nonexistent
>
> Wonder what your script will return from that setting? All dir/files are
> installed as user/owner majordom:majordom and of course access is needed to
> work on things.

Depending on if you changed anything wrong in the script I provided, the
output from the above information would return;

Majordomo: UID=54, GID=54, HOME=/usr/local/majordomo

or
Could not find majordomo or majordom in password file.
Default majordomo: UID=91, GID=91, HOME=/usr/lib/majordomo
Please edit line 58 of this script, or create majordomo user.
Continuing to use this script will assume defaults above.
Press Ctrl-C to abort now, or <enter> to continue.

> Also, I've listed several path changes in my earlier notes and of course
> there is a different treatment for the "aliases.majordomo" whci install
> places in: /usr/local/majordomo instead of the /etc/mail path. It expect to
> build an "aliases.majordomo.db" in /usr/local/majordomo as well. I only got
> the "permissions" to map properly there once and gave up and moved mjd
> aliases into the main aliases in /etc/mail. It complained about "group
> writable" or "unsafe".

If you are running sendmail, do NOT change any paths in that regard.  Aliases
are for sendmail, and majordomo could care less where they are.  The file
should be owned by root, 644, or it should be a link to your majordomo.aliases
that was created by root.

> Also, I uncommented your "parsing" lines (starting at #143) to allow the
> script's interrogation of the sendmail.cf file looking for the aliases, if
> that is appropriate???

Anything commented is currently still under development, but if you have
uncommented it, please let me know your results.  It "should" work, but
not necessarily under "all" conditions.

> The changes I sent should be the "new standard" for FreeBSD ver 4.5+.

I did not receive any changes.  Please provide them.  I have had interest
in creating a pkg_add version of majordomo for BSD, but current projects
have pushed this to a far back burner.