List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: just a question ..
From:       Daniel Liston <dliston () sonny ! org>
Date:       2002-02-22 19:20:14

Actually, the default $whoami of "majordomo\@$whereami" works just
fine in solaris, linux, and freebsd.  Perl 5 requires the @ sign
to be escaped, which is different from perl 4.  You do need to make
sure $whereami is properly defined though.  If you use a shell
command to populate this variable, use the perl "chomp" command to
eliminate the possibility of introducing unwanted newlines from the
value.

Most of the kind of abort messages illustrated below come from the
majordomo-owner being set to root or postmaster.  Or, the email to
the list originated from a root or postmaster alias.

The only way to prevent the message from "ever" appearing again, is
to shut down your majordomo server. :(  OK, that was like saying
the only way to secure your machine from the network is to unplug
the network cable.

Majordomo is smart enough to recognize addresses that will possibly
create a mail loop.  The majordomo.cf file defines these addresses
at the bottom of the file in the $majordomo_dont_reply variable.
Since you can never guarantee that majordomo will never receive an
email from one of these addresses, there is always the potential to
see another one of these abort messages.  From "your" piece of this
equation, make sure none of the listed addresses are used in the
alias for majordomo-owner.

Dan Liston