List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Lock Failures
From:       "Dr. Tim" <timothy () xrx-inc ! com>
Date:       2002-02-17 21:36:46

Ok this is getting bad here for me.
ALl the info and a PLEA!
1.) Freebsd 4.1, Majordomo 1.94.5

regularly I am getting lock failures from the mj_digest
it happens when it is trying to lock the list.config file

2.)  when it happens it seems to try 5 times in a row but I may be wrong
BUT
it causes messages that were posted to list NOT to get put
in the list-digest.  and my old ladies get PO'ed in a major way
it is affecting the companies opinion about keeping the list going.

the only affect that I can see if I make majordomo ignore a lock failure
is the digest.conifg file may not get updated with the new digest #
properly.  WE NEVER RECONFIGURE THE LIST.

Can
a.) anyone help me make the program continue after a lock failure
it appears to me I can flag the failures since the code uses
	&free_lock($lockfile) if $lock_set;
	die($msg);
}
it seems to me I can set lock_set to something like -1 or another value
and trap the error and NOT die during the &abort call
with something like
if ($lock_set=1);
die($msg)
else;
so it only dies when lock_set =1
now I don't know perl but I am sure I can figure that code piece out
BUT
the second issue is does anyone know what SIDE AFFECTS ignoring the
lock failure would do? would the program even keep running?
it seems that the rest of the code simple still reads the config
file and I believe that the abscents of the lock file could mean
majordomo could read the same file at the same time. But since
we only write back to the digest.config to update the digest number
this happens but 3 times a day...

anyways. I am desparate as no-one seems to have ANY suggestions as to
WHY I am getting so many lock failures  (upto 20 a day on a single list)
and how to stop this from happening.

ONe last piece of info
List size = 4000
(subscribers)
Digest Size = 6000
(subscribers)
it appears that when a message triggers the digest
that sendmail then mail out 4000 messages to the list.
and 6000 to the digest and DURING that time when the
moderator is approving messages the error (lock failures) occur
but I am not 100% sure AS the digest doest not have a time stamp
and even if I put my address first in the digest list sendmail
seems to regroup the address into envelops to similar domains.

Thanks

Lastly, anyone having trouble with aol.com accepting envelops of
50 receipents and THEN NOT DELIVERING the email to them?

Tim