List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    "Operating System Error"
From:       "L. V. Lammert" <lvl () omnitec ! net>
Date:       2001-12-31 5:59:42

I FINALLY figured out why MD was generating an 'Operating System Error' -
when I create a new list, the 'acceptable' email address seems to be
list@server.net, where server.net is the *primary* hostname of the server.

I have another list working on a virtual (i.e. listed Local Domain), so the
email to that list successfully is accepted to list@local_domain.com.
When I create a new list, the incoming email normally is:
newlist@newdomain.com (where, again, newdomain.com is a valid local domain
for accepting email). Problem is - newlist works when emailed to
*newlist@server.net*, but **NOT** newlist@newdomain.com!

I can find no entry in aliases for the *working* list (which works just
fine at list@local_domain.com), .. and the list configurations *seem* to be
the same (i.e. the append hostname is set properly), and there is no
virtuser entry for either the working list or the new list.

Question: How do I configure MD/Sendmail to *accept* mail for the new list?
I tried an alias for the newlist@newdomain.com to local user newlist (as I
would expect the mapping to a new local user), but NO JOY.

This has been driving me nutty for some time, .. so a clue would be greatly
appreciated!! I use webmin for administration, and it has worked in the
past (i.e. I have had more than one list running previously), so the FAQ
section on Virtual Domains really makes no sense with multiple majordomo.cf
files - webmin creates:

-rw-rw-r--  1 majordom  majordom     16 Dec 30 23:33 newlist
drwxrwxr-x  2 majordom  majordom    512 Dec 30 23:29 newlist.archive
-rw-rw----  1 majordom  majordom  16624 Dec 30 23:36 newlist.config
-rw-rw-r--  1 majordom  majordom     84 Dec 30 23:29 newlist.info

There's SOMETHING weird going on here, .. any pointers on isolating a
solution??

         TIA,

         Lee