List:       mailman-users
Subject:    [Mailman-Users] Re: Help with Topics
From:       Mark Sapiro <mark () msapiro ! net>
Date:       2020-10-15 22:06:43

On 10/15/20 1:41 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:
> On 10/13/20 3:51 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> For example, if topic1 has regexp \WMailman\W and topic2 has regexp
>> \Wlist\W, any message containing a Subject: or Topics: header or
>> pseudo header containing the word Mailman ...
>
> What is a "pseudo header" in this context?
>
> Are you referring to the first line of the message body being abused and
> treated like a header?

Not exactly. In order to support MUAs that make it difficult to add a
custom header such as Keywords: There is a topics_bodylines_limit
setting, described as:

topics_bodylines_limit (topics): How many body lines should the topic
matcher scan?

The topic matcher will scan this many lines of the message body looking
for topic keyword matches. Body scanning stops when either this many
lines have been looked at, or a non-header-like body line is
encountered. By setting this value to zero, no body lines will be
scanned (i.e. only the Keywords: and Subject: headers will be scanned).
By setting this value to a negative number, then all body lines will be
scanned until a non-header-like line is encountered.

In another post in this thread, I referred to a Topics: header, I meant
Keywords:, not Topics. As far as searching the message body for what I
referred to as pseudo-headers it will only look at an outer text/plain
part or a text/plain part within an outer multipart/alternative part,
and it will look at any lines up to topics_bodylines_limit or the first
non-header like line for Subject: or Keywords: matches.

--
Mark Sapiro <mark@msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,