List:       mailman-users
Subject:    [Mailman-Users] Re: Removed archive messages won't die
From:       Mark Sapiro <mark () msapiro ! net>
Date:       2020-09-23 17:38:35

On 9/23/20 7:01 AM, Brian Carpenter wrote:
> On 9/23/20 9:52 AM, Thomas Gramstad wrote:
>> I'm trying to get rid of some test messages, unsubscribe messages, and
>> a misdirected personal message from a public list archive (Mailman
>> 2.1.29).
>>
>> The problem is that the archived messages keep resurrecting themselves
>> in the date.html file, even if the actual message files have been
>> deleted, after I edit them away from the date.html file.
>>
>> How can I prevent this behavior, so that only actually existing
>> archive messages show up in the archive index file date.html?
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I believe you have to delete the message from your list's mbox file
> (mailman_install_dir/archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox) and
> then rebuild your archives "mailman_install_dir/bin/arch --wipe listname".

Brian's suggestion is the simple, straightforward way to do this.

Here is more detail about what's happening in your case. The information
below is not a suggestion that you actually try to edit the database
files, rather it's just background if you're interested.

The various author, date, subject and thread .html files for any archive
period are rebuilt from information in
archives/private/<listname>/database/* files for that period whenever
there is a post in that period. It is possible to edit those database
files, but probably isn't worth it - they are python marshals. There is
a script at <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/hdfix> that can edit the
article database, but only for the purpose of redacting subjects and
authors. That script has more information as to its purpose, but is only
relevant here as information about the format of the article database.

There is also a script at <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/hddump> which
can dump these databases and may be useful as illustration of how to
access them with Archiver methods.

--
Mark Sapiro <mark@msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,