List:       mailman-users
Subject:    [Mailman-Users] Re: What is character set of the log files?
From:       Brett Delmage <brett () twobikes ! ottawa ! on ! ca>
Date:       2020-05-27 7:31:16

On Tue, 26 May 2020, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> What is the character set coding for the log files, please?
>> I'm using MM 2.1.29
>
> Basically unknown. For the most part, log files are us-ascii, but some
> entries contain user entered data such as names or (malformed) email
> addresses that might contain non-ascii and might be encoded in the
> character set of the list's preferred language or something else.

Thanks. I thought it might be something like that. It's not critical for
me, as the list admin / mdoerator just needs to look at logs sometimes for
possible troublshooting. If the log files don't all render perfectly it's
not a major issue.

A few weeks ago his MSP started bouncing his list emails. He noticed after
he was suspended for excessive bounces. While the problem could not (or
would not?) be explained, I suspect he tagged a list "via" message (or
many) as spam, causing his MSP to block the list address. But who knows.

> I have done this with nothing special in Apache. I just put a symlink to
> the respective log(s) in a browser accessible place giving it a .txt
> extension, e.g. vette.txt -> /var/lib/mailman/logs/vette.log.

Thanks for the tip.

Prior to my inquiry, I ended up with this Apache config stanza to permit
viewing all the log files using Apache autoindex, allowing Apache and the
web browser to do the work.

Adding "AddEncoding x-gzip .gz" allows direct viewing of the compressed
(rotated) log files in the log directory. Adding "ForceType text/plain"
avoids the need for the .txt extension for MIME setting. I was also going
to set the charset, but being as it's random... :-)

# Mailman logs
     Alias /logs /var/log/mailman/
     <Directory /var/log/mailman/>
         AuthType Basic
         AuthName "Mailman admins"
         AuthUserFile "/home/.../passwd"
         Require valid-user

         # ENable autoindex!
         DirectoryIndex disabled

         AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
         ForceType text/plain

         Options FollowSymlinks Indexes
         AllowOverride None
     </Directory>

I also created a subdirctory "latest" in /logs with symlinks to the
current versions of the log files. Hmm, I think I could probably do a
virtual location in Apache itself for this.

Thanks for your incredible support for Mailman users over the past 20
years, Mark! I posted this message, then told me partner (another list and
Linux user for 20 years)  that I expected you might be responding at
dinner -- and here you are!

Brett